NOTE: This page is currently under construction, and will continue to be updated in the coming days
The following is the timeline of Max Payne's life and of those people connected to him. The timeline covers the characters and events as depicted in Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne, Max Payne 3, and the Max Payne 3 comics.
- Before 1976: A young Max Payne is growing up, but at his home, Jack Payne abuses his wife and cheats on her. Max Payne's grandfather tells his grandson stories from ancient literature.
- The United States Government secretly commences Project Valhalla, with the objective to create a chemical compound that enhances the stamina and morale of U.S. Infantry troops.
- Project Valhalla is cancelled after the results of the project are considered "unsatisfactory" by the government, but Nicole Horne continues the project in an unofficial capacity, manufacturing Valkyr as a recreational drug.
- Fabiana and her family move to Brazil from Portugal.
- Max Payne saves a woman who works at the District Attorney's office named Michelle from two muggers in an alley. The two meet up for drinks the following week and begin dating soon afterward.
- Max and Michelle marry sometime between May and June after just six months of dating. The couple has their honeymoon in Montauk, and Michelle becomes pregnant with their daughter.
- February 4: Rose Payne is born.
- Alfred Woden leaks the Project Valhalla files to the District Attorney's office. 
- August 22: The Payne family massacre at the Payne residence, New Jersey. Nicole Horne learns about the Project Valhalla leak to the District Attorney's office that Michelle Payne is employed at. Michelle sees the documents but before she can investigate them any further, Horne sends three Valkyr test subjects to Michelle's home in order to prevent any further leak of the documents, under the guise of a "field test" on the subjects' behavior in an "urban environment" for Project Valhalla. The three test subjects are given guns, double their dosage of Valkyr, and then dropped off at the Payne residence to be let loose on the house and its inhabitants. The frenzied, manic test subjects murder Michelle and her baby, Rose, before Michelle's husband, NYPD detective Max Payne, can stop the intruders. 
- Max Payne transfers to the Drug Enforcement Administration and begins working on the Valkyr case.
- Álvaro Neves becomes a captain in the Unidade de Forças Especiais.
- The Punchinello crime family enters a war with the Russian Mob.
- After receiving information from an informant that underboss Jack Lupino is trafficking Valkyr, Max Payne goes undercover and infiltrates the ranks of the Punchinello crime family.
- Winter, 2001: The main events of the Valkyr case occur over the course of three nights during one the worst winter storm in a century in New York City.
- Max Payne stumbles upon a bank heist of Roscoe Bank while attempting to meet up with his partner, Alex Balder, in the Roscoe Street Station. Payne foils the heist by killing the robbers, but after meeting up with his partner, Balder is shot by an unseen assassin. Max is framed for the murder, and despite being pursued by the New York City Police Department, he decides to go on a "nothing-to-lose" vendetta against the people who are responsible for Valkyr and the murder of his partner. 
- Max Payne kills numerous Punchinello gangsters in Lupino's Hotel while looking for Jack Lupino, his prime suspect as Valkyr's main distributor. Notable Punchinello crime family members killed includes Joey Finito, Virgilio Finito, and Rico Muerte. The police later arrive, tape off the hotel, and take the bodies away. 
- Alfred Woden begins calling Payne in order to warn and guide him through his violent, vengeful quest for the truth.
- Vinnie Gognitti is chased and shot by Payne, who is able to get Gognitti to confess Lupino's whereabout.
- Ragna Rock, a nightclub owned by Jack Lupino, is stormed by Max Payne, who shoots dozens of Lupino's men occupying the club.
- Jack Lupino, in a manic, psychotic state due to heavy Valkyr usage, is killed in a shootout with Payne in Ragna Rock.
- Payne meets Mona Sax in the bar area of Ragna Rock, but their meeting ends with him being drugged and losing consciousness.
- The police arrive at Lupino's Hotel, collect evidence and the bodies of the mobsters Payne had killed earlier, and eventually leave after taping off the building and station a few officers to guard the building. The remaining officers are killed by Frankie "The Bat" Niagara and his men.
- Payne wakes up the night after the shootout at Ragna Rock to being assaulted by Frankie Niagara with his baseball bat in the basement of Lupino's Hotel.
- Frankie Niagara is killed by Max Payne after the fugitive DEA agent escapes from confinement in Lupino's hotel basement.
- Boris Dime and his men, who have defected from the Russian Mob, take over the Charon and the nearby Brooklyn dockyard in order to claim a large cache of weapons stored on the ship.
- Dime and his men are killed by Max Payne after he is instructed by Vladimir Lem to reclaim the Charon and its contents for the Russians. Lem regains control over the ship.
- Casa di Angelo is burned down as Payne escapes a trap and ambush set up by Angelo Punchinello.
- Sometime before Max Payne arrives at Punchinello manor, Lisa Punchinello is killed, presumably by her husband.
- Punchinello manor comes under attack by Max Payne, who is looking for Angelo Punchinello.
- Notable members of the Punchinello crime family, including Vince Mugnaio, Pilate Providence, Joe Salem, and the Don himself, Angelo Punchinello, are killed during the shootout at Punchinello's manor. Angelo is executed by Nicole Horne's Killer Suits.
- Payne is drugged by Horne and left to die from an overdose on Valkyr.
- Max Payne survives the hallucinatory side effects and the withdrawal symptoms of Valkyr, waking up much later - presumably the next day - and traces Horne to Cold Steel.
- Once those responsible for guarding the Cold Steel complex realize it has been compromised, "Operation: Dead Eyes" is put into effect. The complex is destroyed, but not before Payne finds the files on Project Valhalla and realizes Horne is responsible for the deaths of his wife and daughter.
- B.B. and Max Payne meet on the roof of the Choir Communications garage, where B.B. reveals himself as corrupt and responsible for Alex Balder's murder and Max being framed.
- B.B. and his men are killed by Payne as B.B. tries to escape the parking garage.
- The fugitive DEA agent meets Alfred Woden and several other members of the Inner Circle at the Asgard Building, who reveal this intention to assist Payne in taking down Nicole Horne. The building is invaded by numerous Killer Suits, who kill most of the Inner Circle members present at the meeting. Payne and Woden make it out alive. 
- Max storms the Aesir Headquarters building, killing dozens of Aesir security guards and Killer Suits. Mona Sax and Payne meet in the building, but she is shot and presumed dead.
- Max Payne chases Nicole Horne to the roof of the building, where she tries to escape in her helicopter. Payne shoots the guy-wires holding the skyscraper's radio mast in place, which causes it to collapse on top of the fleeing helicopter, sending the tower, the helicopter containing Horne and her pilot, and the heliport structure crashing to the streets below.
- Max is arrested by the NYPD while Woden looks on.
- All charges against Max Payne for his actions in 2001 have been dropped, due to Alfred Woden's influence, and Payne returns to the NYPD as a Homicide detective.
- The Punchinello crime family, led by Vincent Gognitti, continue to battle Lem's Russian Mob.
- The Cleaner Case: Over the course of a few rainy nights, New York City is turned into a bloody battleground as Vladimir Lem launches an aggressive, large-scale operation aimed to quickly eliminate his enemies and consolidate the power of the city's criminal underworld under his control.
- Mysterious assassins posing as cleaners working for the Squeaky Cleaning Company are tasked with covertly eliminating influential underworld figures.
- The Inner Circle splits and falls into infighting. Alfred Woden and Vladimir Lem are the heads of the two warring factions.
- Max Payne responds to a shots-fired call at a warehouse owned by Vladimir Lem. Taking down several suspects dressed as Cleaners, the rest of the shooters escape when Payne's police back-up arrives. Annie Finn, an arms dealer that works for Lem, is killed execution-style in her gun workshop. Mona Sax is revealed to be alive after being wounded two years prior in Aesir Headquarters.
- Valerie Winterson is assigned to the investigation of Senator Gate's murder. Max Payne is assigned to the Cleaner case.
- Sometime before Payne meets up with Vlad at his restaurant, Mona Sax shoots Lem in the arm.
- Later that night, a massive shootout occurs at Vodka restaurant between Max Payne, Lem and his Russian mob, who run the establishment, and Vinnie Gognitti with a large group of his men. The gunfight results in a stalemate and Gognitti gets away.
- Max Payne is attacked in his apartment complex by dozens of Cleaners, but nearly of them all killed by Payne and a few of his neighbors. 
- Later, an apartment building on the Upper East side is the setting of another gunfight between Payne and the Cleaners, with Mona Sax joining in as well. The Cleaners are caught in the middle of cleaning up after assassinating several members of the Inner Circle. Numerous Cleaners as well as their leader, Kaufman, are killed by Max and Mona during their investigation of the building. Winterson shows up, arrests Sax, then Payne and her take Sax back to the precinct they work at.
- The precinct Mona is brought to comes under attack by the Cleaners soon after she is brought there to be held. Mona escapes the Cleaners, who have come to kill her, but the explosives used to break into the precinct kills several of the officers at the station. More officers are killed by the Cleaners as they look for Mona, but Max and a few of his fellow officers take them out.
- Mona Sax's hideout, the Address Unknown funhouse, is invaded by a large group of Cleaners who attempt to kill both her and Payne, who met her at the funhouse. Between the two of them, they are able to overcome the assassins before the rest retreat in Squeaky Cleaning Company vans, but not before Payne jumps into one of them before they speed off.
- Payne infiltrates the Castling construction site, which a base for the Cleaners. A condemned building on the site is destroyed during Payne and the Cleaners' destructive gun battle, and Mona eventually shows up to assist Max on getting out alive.  
- Sax and Payne are stopped before they are able to escape the construction site by Valerie Winterson, who was sent there to kill both of them by Vladimir Lem. Payne shoots and kills Winterson, but not before being shot himself.
- Payne and Winterson are taken to the New York Memorial Hospital, where Max is operated on and Winterson's body is sent to the morgue. The hospital is later attacked by Cleaner commandos, who are sent to kill Payne. Numerous guards, hospital staff and Cleaners are killed during the seige on the hospital. Jim Bravura is wounded while questioning Payne in the lobby of the hospital, and is sent into surgery almost immediately afterwards. 
- Another shootout occurs in Vodka, this time with Payne working against and shooting the Russian mobsters. Payne, looking for Lem, instead discovers plans to kill Vincent Gognitti.
- Payne finds and saves Gognitti from a Russian mob attack against Gognitti and his men, however he discovers Gognitti is trapped in a Captain BaseBallBat-Boy outfit.
- Max takes Gognitti to Mona Sax's funhouse, hoping to get her to help him remove Gognitti's costume, but they instead find Lem, who kills Gognitti by blowing up remotely detonating a bomb within his costume.
- Sax, witnessing the death of Gognitti's and the subsequent destruction, rushes into the burning funhouse to rescue Payne, who is unconscious from a bullet wound to the head and smoke inhalation.
- Mona is able to save Payne and together they head to Woden's manor, assuming Lem is headed there as well. a massive gun battle breaks out between Lem, his Cleaner commandos, Woden's bodyguards, Mona, and Max.
- Alfred Woden is killed by Vladimir Lem, ending the war between their factions. Mona is shot and later dies from her injuries in Payne's arms. Vladimir Lem is killed by Max Payne after the structure Lem is shooting from collapses, sending it and the Russian Mob leader crashing down into the manor below.
- NYPD officers swarm the manor, rescuing Max from the building as the only apparent survivor of the deadly conflict.
- September: Álvaro Neves is accused of orchestrating the executions of two left-wing politicians.
- Fabiana moves to São Paulo after living in São Carlos for 9 years.
- "Serrano" becomes the leader of the Comando Sombra.
- The Crachá Preto is founded by Álvaro Neves and some other officers.
- March: Fabiana and Rodrigo Branco marry in Ilhabela, after meeting the previous year at a charity dinner.
- November: Fabiana Branco is kidnapped by gang members, but is safely freed after an UFE rescue operation.
- Max Payne is hunted by Anthony DeMarco, after killing Tony DeMarco, Anthony's only son.
- Max Payne leaves Hoboken, New Jersey for São Paulo, Brazil and works as a bodyguard for the Branco family.
- Daphne Bernstein is killed.
- The Comando Sombra attempts to kidnap Fabiana Branco and Rodrigo Branco but is stopped by Max Payne
- Fabiana Branco is kidnapped by the Comando Sombra in Club Moderno.
- The IT Guy is killed.
- Rodrigo Branco is killed.
- Fabiana Branco is shot in the head by Serrano.
- Serrano is captured by UFE .
- Marcelo Branco is burned alive by the Crachá Preto.
- Milo Rego is killed by Max Payne
- Arthur Fischer is killed by Serrano.
- Álvaro Neves is shot in the head by Raul Passos
- Bachmeyer is killed by Max Payne in a gunfight.
- Armando Becker is killed.
- Victor Branco is hanged in his prison cell.
- ↑ A Fat Bald Dude with a Bad Temper, Max Payne 3
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 "After the Fall"
- ↑ Rodrigo Branco is aged 51 in 2012 as seen in Fabiana Branco's intelligence file. Therefore, he could have been born in either 1960 or 1961. Retrieved September 19th, 2016.
- ↑ Blackboard in the morgue during the chapter Too Stubborn to Die has Winterson's age of 42 written on it. Therefore, she could have been born in either 1960 or 1961.
- ↑ Victor Branco is aged 47 in 2012 according to the Portuguese newspaper clue found in Club Moderno. Therefore, he could have been born in either 1964 or 1965.
- ↑ Álvaro Neves is aged 43 in 2012 as seen in the Unidade de Forças Especiais intelligence file on him. Therefore, he could have been born in either 1968 or 1969. Retrieved September 19th, 2016.
- ↑ Milo rego is aged 39 in 2012 as seen in the Unidade de Forças Especiais intelligence file. Therefore, he could have been born in either 1972 or 1973.
- ↑ Raul Passos' ID card, The Great American Savior of the Poor, Max Payne 3
- ↑ According to the Unidade de Forças Especiais intelligence file on Serrano and the Commando Sombra, Serrano is approximately 28 years old. Retrieved May 11th, 2012.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 Fabiana Branco's police file. Retrieved May 8th, 2012.
- ↑ The UFE intelligence file on Fabiana Branco mentions that her younger sister, Giovanna Taveres, is 26 years old. Retrieved September 20th, 2016.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 The Deep Six, Max Payne
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 "Hoboken Blues"
- ↑ Michelle and Rose's tombstone, Ain't No Reprievement Gonna Be Found Otherwise, Max Payne 3
- ↑ There Are No Happy Endings, Max Payne 2
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 Prologue (The American Dream), Max Payne
- ↑ Unidade de Forças Especiais intelligence file on the Crachá Preto
- ↑ While the Punchinello and Russian mobs have most likely been adversaries in the past, a hit carried out by the Punchinello family on the Russian mob has caused an all-out war between the two factions. The Punchinello hit on the Russian mob is mentioned in a letter on the clerk's desk of the Pawnbroker during the chapter Let the Gun Do the Talking in Max Payne.
- ↑ Roscoe Street Station, Max Payne
- ↑ Live from the Crime Scene, Max Payne
- ↑ Playing It Bogart, Max Payne
- ↑ The Blood Veins of New York, Max Payne
- ↑ Let the Gun Do the Talking, Max Payne
- ↑ Police Brutality, Max Payne
- ↑ Ragna Rock, Max Payne
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 An Empire of Evil, Max Payne
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 28.2 The Baseball Bat, Max Payne
- ↑ An Offer You Can't Refuse, Max Payne
- ↑ With Rats and Oily Water, Max Payne
- ↑ Put Out My Flames With Gasoline, Max Payne
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 32.2 32.3 Angel of Death, Max Payne
- ↑ Take Me to Cold Steel, Max Payne
- ↑ The Deep Six, Max Payne
- ↑ 35.0 35.1 Backstabbing Bastard, Max Payne
- ↑ In the Land of the Blind, Max Payne
- ↑ Byzantine Power Game, Max Payne
- ↑ Nothing to Lose, Max Payne
- ↑ 39.0 39.1 Pain and Suffering, Max Payne
- ↑ 40.0 40.1 40.2 Elevator Doors, Max Payne 2
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 A Criminal Mastermind, Max Payne 2
- ↑ 42.0 42.1 The Million Dollar Question, Max Payne 2
- ↑ 43.0 43.1 Too Stubborn to Die, Max Payne 2
- ↑ There Are No Happy Endings, Max Payne 2
- ↑ No 'Us' in This, Max Payne 2
- ↑ A Sign of Her Passage, Max Payne 2
- ↑ Prologue (A Binary Choice), Max Payne 2
- ↑ The Things That I Want, Max Payne 2
- ↑ In the Middle of Something, Max Payne 2
- ↑ Blowing Up, Max Payne 2
- ↑ Routing Her Synapses, Max Payne 2
- ↑ 52.0 52.1 On a Crash Course, Max Payne 2
- ↑ The Genius of the Hole, Max Payne 2
- ↑ Prologue (The Darkness Inside), Max Payne 2
- ↑ Dearest of All My Friends, Max Payne 2
- ↑ 56.0 56.1 A Losing Game, Max Payne 2
- ↑ Love Hurts, Max Payne 2
- ↑ 58.0 58.1 That Old Familiar Feeling, Max Payne 2
- ↑ 59.0 59.1 UFE intelligence file on Neves. Retrieved October 9th, 2016.
- ↑ UFE intelligence file on Serrano and the Commando Sombra. Retrieved September 20th, 2016.
- ↑ UFE intelligence file on the Crachá Preto. Retrieved October 9th, 2016.
- ↑ UFE intelligence file on Milo Rego. Retrieved October 9th, 2016.